Q. What are the benefits of this national award?
A. The benefits are:
• National recognition.
• Published free in USAA National Awards yearbook- students must return the student biography form in order to be published.
• Opportunity to compete for educational cash grants.
• News release form to submit to students’ local media- the news release will be mailed along with the scholarship application. Complete the news release and submit it to your local media. Complete the scholarship application and return it to USAASF, 2528 Palumbo Drive, Lexington, KY 40509.
• List your recognition as an accomplishment on college applications and job resumes.
• Access to USAA membership items- check-out our online store.
• Nominated students can participate in USAA contests.
• Short story and essay contest winners become published authors.
Q. How much scholarship money has USAA awarded?
A. In the past 35 years, USAA has awarded over $1.6 million in scholarships.
Q. How many short story or essay contests will be held this year?
A. Two contests will be held the year.
Q. Who can participate in short story and essay contests?
A. All nominated students for the current school year may participate. All nominating teachers may participate as well.
Q. What prizes will be awarded to contest winners?
A. A first, second, and third place monetary prize will be awarded for each contest.
All winning stories or essays will be published in our yearbook that is distributed
nationally. Stories and essays will also be posted on our website and facebook page.
Q. When are winners announced for short story and essay contests?
A. This will vary based on contest dates.